NZ Security Training Association
The introduction of mandatory training in October 2013 signalled a new era of professionalism across the security sector. A focus on training highlighted a gap in the industry for an independent, apolitical organisation dedicated to supporting and informing training, training providers and training programmes. Out of this was born the New Zealand Security Training Association- NZSTA.
NZSTA is dedicated to supporting training within the security industry by providing a framework within which professional development flourishes. Its goal is to enrich security training and improve learning experiences and outcomes for trainees.
Membership is open to anyone from the wider security industry including:
- Private Training Establishments (NZQA)
- Security companies
- Trainers & assessors within the security industry
- External organisations who provide training to the security industry (e.g. Fire/First Aid)
- Share information regarding the current NZQA Targeted Review of Qualification process
- Share information regarding security training including national and international trends
- Provide workshops and training events run by members to support industry training
- Provide support to security companies regarding training and training processes
- Provide a forum for security companies to give feedback regarding training and training delivery to ensure fit for purpose training
- Support workplace assessors with training, assessment and moderation requirements
- Liaise with relevant Industry Training Organisations (Skills etc)
NZSTA has been endorsed by the Skills Organisation who see the benefit of working together to improve the quality of training and trainee outcomes. By providing support to workplace assessors NZSTA can assist with raising national programme completion rates within the sector. This also sits well with the Tertiary Education Commission, particularly as security has historically been one of the poorest performing industries with regards completion rates.
NZSTA members are excited about being able to address what has been missing for so long within the security sector and are committed to working together to raise the standards and professionalism of training. Our members are already providing support to workplace assessors in Auckland and Christchurch as well as assisting companies to understand their options with regards formal training. Other members have embarked on a mutual collaboration which is providing trainer upskilling and workplace experience for trainees.
In the future there are plans for Train the Trainer and Adult Education courses for workplace assessors as well as OSH and Emergency Management qualifications provided by members and for members.
For further information please contact Kathy Wright – NZSTA Chairperson on email@example.com